Not just for the staunch conservatives! Pocket squares have been making a comeback in the last 3 years and as men become more fashion conscious for special occasions and events pocket squares are all the rage. The latest thrust in the craze may have come from the Mad Men or “Yes” even Randy Fenolli of Kleinfeld Manhattan in “Say Yes To The Dress” on TLC.
This very dapper, sophisticated and stately image is perfect for the groom and groomsmen who want to ‘Switch It Up’. Take a nod from the pocket square and forgo the boutonniere. Brides often ask us how they can introduce their wedding color into what the men are wearing in the wedding party. The first thing they think of is the vest and tie. Please consider: When does this look like prom? So our answer is to add a pocket square, (perfect as a gift) which the men can keep, and use in their business attire or for other special occasions. Here are some ideas; the does and don’ts when considering the pocket square.
- Use without a boutonnière.
- Wear with a jacket but without a tie in a casual or garden wedding.
- If combining a pocket square with a boutonnière, make sure the pocket square is smaller than the boutonniere, and the boutonniere should be a single or basic flower not a art masterpiece or they will fight for your attention when looking at it.
- Don’t play matchy – match with the tie. Pick a prominent color in the tie and find a complimenting color.
- A pocket square may not be for everyone in the wedding party but perhaps just for the groom.
- Something borrowed for the groom, may end up being a favorite pocket square from his father.
- Folding a pocket square is not easy for everyone. Go to the web site – The Art of Manliness and see the various options. CLICK HERE.
- Oh, and if you use a pocket square get ready to have all the women marvel at it! They will!
For the past decade Caroline Hayden has designed evening gowns for clients throughout the US. Her custom gowns cater to the...
It was a pleasure to view the Modehaus Spring 2018 bridal collection as they took on New York Bridal Fashion week for the...