Congrats! You’re getting married! It is easy to get wrapped up in planning every last detail for your wedding day, but don’t forget, there is another major event right after the wedding that takes a lot of planning too…the HONEYMOON! Let’s get planning, Friday is #checklistday and we have created the ultimate checklist for how to plan your perfect honeymoon getaway.
8 Months – 1 Year Before
Attend the Honeymoon and Destination Wedding Showcase
- The Honeymoon and Destination Wedding Showcase is Minnesota’s only bridal event designed exclusively for honeymooners and couples planning destination weddings. There are so many details to think about when planning a destination wedding and until now, there has not been a single resource where you can check off everything on your list; from the best travel suppliers from around the world to the finest travel experts, discover the array of romantic travel opportunities available for either your honeymoon, destination wedding, mini-moons and weddingmoons. Who knew there were so many options!
Make a budget!
- Creating a budget will help you prioritize the activities you’ll be doing on your honeymoon and will help with narrowing down your choices (from destinations to accommodations and excursions) through your planning process.
Get a helping hand!
- Do you have time to plan the details of your honeymoon while planning your wedding as well? Are you an inexperienced traveler or hoping to travel somewhere you are unfamiliar with? Working with a travel agent to get the ball rolling will take a lot of stress off your plate. Contacting various travel agencies to let them know what your thinking of going for your trip and what you need help with! Check out our Platinum Vendors page for a list of some of the most trusted travel agents in the area!
Buy Plane Tickets
- You gotta get there somehow! Buy your plane tickets early! Prices fluctuate like crazy throughout the year especially during certain seasons and peak travel times. This can vary by destination so make sure to to your research and be ahead of the game when purchasing your airfare.
Book where your gonna rest your head!
- For most honeymoons, couch surfing isn’t an option. Book your hotel or resort right away, they fill up fast especially if you are hoping to get a specific honeymoon suite! Once these accommodations are booked and done you can move onto the rest of the details.
6 Months Before
Schedule transportation (if needed)
- Plan your transportation from point A to B. Even planning out your ride from the airport to where your staying is important to have done ahead of time.
- Going out of the country? RENEW YOUR PASSPORT! You do not wanna miss this step.
- Honeymoons should be romantic! Wow your partner, plan ahead and have stress free nights and book those “impossible to get into” dinner reservations or exclusive excursions that fill up ahead of time. Make sure to tell the hotel you are celebrating your honeymoon because they often give honeymooners some extra TLC that you won’t want to miss out on.
- And to the fun part! Pick out all the activities you and your significant other would like to do throught the duration of the trip. Consult with a travel agent or staff member at your resort for their recommendations. Checking Groupon or Trip Advisor are also great tools to take advantage of.
Great an idea of your packing list
- Nobody likes the stress of last minute packing, (and remember, this time it will be right after your wedding!) start creating your packing list or even a to-do list of things you need to get!
Confirm! Confirm! Confirm!
- Don’t get blindsided when checking into your hotel to discover your booking never went through or they booked the wrong room type. Double and triple check all confirmations for appointments and scheduled plans before you leave.
Let’s Get Packing
- Get a good head start on packing. Pack accordingly to your destination and activities you plan on doing. You can always throw your travel size products in the last minute.
Pack your carry on
- And we’re off! Packing some essentials to have with you on the plan and packing smaller items you can squeeze into your carry on that couldn’t fit in your suitcase.
- Go through your checklist! Double check your packing list and documents you need for your traveling including cash, IDs, reservation and confirmation numbers.
Leanne Kolodziej with her husband. Photo by Heidi Soll Photography For a ring as unique as you are, consider Jewelry by Johan....