Some venues will have enough space so you can have your ceremony and reception on-site, and some may only have a reception space. Or you may have always dreamt of getting married at your family church then having your reception at a rustic barn. If you will have different locations for your wedding day, we have questions to ask when touring ceremony venues and a Wedding Ceremony Checklist and Timeline.
Questions to Ask Your Ceremony Venue
- Is your space available on my preferred date?
- Will there be any other events on the day of my wedding?
- When is the full payment due?
- Do you charge a standard fee? Is it a donation to the house of worship or a rental fee?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- What extra venue-related costs are there?
- Do you have enough space for my guest list number?
- Where will performers and the wedding party stand?
- Do you have outdoor space available?
- Do you have a list of packages?
- What is all included in the rental fee?
- Can I bring in my own rental company?
- Does your space have restrictions on floral or decor?
- Can we bring in our own officiant?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- How many restrooms are on-site?
- Do you have getting ready spaces?
- How early can we access the space?
- Where can we load in and out?
- When does the space have to be clear?
- Will there be staff on-site for the entire time we are there?
- Do you provide security?
- Do you have rehearsal dinner accommodations?
- Are we able to have a ceremony rehearsal the day prior?
- What do you have for on-site AV equipment?
- What parking do you provide? If applicable, what does valet cost?
- Do you offer a coat check?
- Do you have a day-of coordinator and/or require one?
WEDDING CEREMONY CHECKLIST + TIMELINE
- Research ceremony site venues
- Discover venue locations on our Vendors page
- Book tours
- Decide on and book your ceremony site
- Interview officiants and book their services (if you do not have a priest, minister, or rabbi)
- Brainstorm unique ceremony ideas
- Reserve rental and decor items for the ceremony
- Portable restrooms
- Sound equipment
- Determine floor plan layout
- Gift display
- Wedding party
- Unity candle location
- Meet with officiant to go over the ceremony
- Schedule delivery and set up of rentals
- Write vows
- Finalize ceremony schedule including readings, music, and the unity ceremony
- Buy items for the ceremony
- Unity candle, aisle runner, ring bearer pillow, arch, arch decor, flower girl basket, fans or blankets for guests, card box
- Finalize and print wedding programs
- Purchase a marriage license
- Decide on photo locations between ceremony and reception
- Send final guest count to the ceremony venue
- Confirm arrival time and details with all vendors
- Give copy of details to Maid of Honor, Personal Attendant, and Planner/Coordinator
- Rehearse ceremony with the entire wedding party
- Give marriage license to officiant
- Bring all ceremony accessories to the venue
- Give wedding rings to the Best Man or Maid of Honor
- Complete the marriage license to make it official!
OR CLICK THE BELOW IMAGES TO SAVE TO YOUR CAMERA ROLL
Be sure to check out our other planning checklists!
In the News: Minnesota Monthly
In the News: Minnesota Monthly
Let Love Light the Way Get a look into how to create the perfect wedding with The Wedding Guys®. Every Wednesday for...
FIND THE DATE: Collective Resource to Find Open Wedding Vendors for 2021-2022
FIND THE DATE is comprised of a collection of the top Minnesota wedding vendors that have open dates in the coming months to...
Special and Unique Ceremony Ideas to Make Yours Stand Out
The ceremony sets the tone for your whole wedding. After all, it’s the reason you’ve gathered everyone and taken a lot of...