One of the most essential parts of planning your wedding is choosing the perfect stationery. From save-the-dates to invitations, RSVP cards to thank-you notes, each piece plays a vital role in setting the tone for your big day. In this comprehensive wedding stationery checklist and timeline, we will walk you through a detailed checklist of wedding stationery items, ensuring that no detail is overlooked.
Wedding stationery goes far beyond just your invitations. It’s important to consider every aspect of signage including bar signs, welcome signs, escort cards, menus, and any other paper needs that will benefit your day. A great stationer will help make sure you have everything you need, and we are lucky to have some amazing talent in our local market.
When you meet with your stationer, be sure to bring this list of questions to ask along with the Wedding Stationery Checklist and Timeline. Scroll to the bottom for a printable version!
Questions to Ask Your Stationery Provider
- How many years of experience do you have?
- What is your design background and style?
- Can I get a contract in writing?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Can you share some reviews with me?
- Can I see a portfolio of your work?
- Do you do printing in-house or is it outsourced?
- What is your pricing structure?
- Do you offer calligraphy?
- Can I use a photo in the design?
- Do you provide custom design?
- What should I include in my invitations?
- Can you assist with verbiage?
- What other wedding signage do you offer?
- Can you print on recycled paper?
- Do you print on mediums other than paper?
- How far in advance should I order items?
- What current trends and styles are you seeing in stationery and signage?
- Do you provide an invitation addressing and mailing service?
- Can I assemble the invites myself? What is the price difference?
- Can I see a proof of items before they go to print?
- What would it cost to mail my invitations based on the weight of the items?
WEDDING STATIONERY CHECKLIST + TIMELINE
This timeline can vary depending on the designer’s current capacity and availability so check with them on the order times. Below is a timeline based on planning your wedding 12-18 months out, but the most important dates are the weeks leading up to your wedding. You’ll want to send out save the dates 6-8 months in advance (12 months if you are having a destination wedding) and mail invitations 2-3 months before the wedding day.
- Get inspired on Pinterest and stationery image galleries
- Put together a mood board of stationery and signage
- Meet with stationer and calligrapher and order save the dates
- Decide on invitation design and order
- Consider the following to include:
- Inner & outer envelope
- Formal Invitation
- Accommodations Card
- Response Card
- Belly Band
- Address and mail save the dates
- Send out invitations
- RSVPs should be due one month prior to the wedding
- Order and print wedding signage
- Welcome sign
- Bar sign
- Table numbers
- Thank yous
- Welcome bag tags
- Get final guest count and print place cards
- Pick up wedding signage
- TIP: Assign your planner or a member of the wedding party to deliver these to the venue on the day of the wedding
- Give place cards, table numbers, and menus to the catering manager a few days before
OR CLICK THE BELOW IMAGES TO SAVE TO YOUR CAMERA ROLL
Be sure to check out our other planning checklists!
Wedding inspiration is all around you, all you have to do is look! We’ve put together the best ideas from around the world...