Your wedding day isn’t the only thing to plan once you get engaged! The honeymoon is a perfect way to relax with your new spouse after the wedding and get much-needed R & R. Whether you are new to traveling or a frequent flyer, using this Honeymoon Checklist and Timeline will help you have an amazing couples getaway. Plus, we have questions to ask a travel agent when they help you book your travels!
Questions to Ask Your Travel Agent
- How long have you been a travel specialist?
- What is your specialty?
- How long have you been in the industry?
- What are the most popular destinations for honeymooners?
- What are your favorite destinations?
- What are your favorite properties?
- What perks and packages do these properties offer?
- When is the best time to visit our desired destination?
- Can you recommend activities in the area we’re staying?
- Can you set up transportation to and from the airport?
- When should we book our trip?
- Can you help customize our trip?
- Are you available if there is an emergency during our trip?
- Can we pay a deposit now and the rest later?
- Do you provide travel insurance?
- What is the most favorable pricing for our destination?
- Are there any travel restrictions or vaccination requirements for our desired location?
HONEYMOON CHECKLIST + TIMELINE
- Research info about your desired honeymoon destination(s)
- Meet with a travel specialist to discuss options
- Did you know? A travel specialist’s services don’t cost you anything!
- Begin budgeting for your trip
- TIP: Set up a honeymoon fund on your registry!
- Check out any current travel restrictions and health and/or vaccination requirements for your destination
- Attend the Honeymoon & Destination Wedding Showcase to meet travel agents and get inspired
- Book honeymoon travel and accommodations
- TIP: Use your maiden name — if changing your last name — on all reservations so that your passport matches your confirmations
- Make sure your passport is up to date
- New requirements state that your passport must be valid for 6 months following your travel date
- Research restaurants, tours, day trips, and excursions
- Plan honeymoon wardrobe and travel needs
- Arrange pet-sitting/house-sitting services for time away
- Check luggage allowances with airline
- Book any tours, restaurant reservations, and excursions
- Confirm you have all travel documents needed
- Pack your honeymoon bags
- Call your cell phone carrier to upgrade to an international plan if needed
- Confirm house and/or pet-sitting arrangements
- TIP: Ask the house sitter to place any mailed registry gifts inside of your home so they don’t sit outside while you’re gone or ask the post office to hold packages
- Confirm flight times
- Check the weather forecast at your destination
- Set work voicemail and email to “Out of Office”
BONUS TIP: Your honeymoon doesn’t have to be immediately after your wedding! Consider taking a minimoon to a local destination and then have the long vacation at a later date.
OR CLICK THE BELOW IMAGES TO SAVE TO YOUR CAMERA ROLL
Be sure to check out our other planning checklists!
Your engagement party is a time for celebration, but it’s also a time when you can be a little more relaxed with the décor,...